Pages

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Explaining your story and listening to others

One of the things I find most frustrating yet so helpful is explaining your story.
So here we are, still freshly started on NaNoWriMo and my story is just creeping along. I can already tell my brain is having a hard time putting all the pieces together and making everything fit in the way I eventually want it to work out.
One of the ways I get through these slow times is I talk to someone (a friend or my relatives) about my story. As I explain my story I start working out what doesn't work in the story and what could help as a catalyst to bring about other events in the story.
The problem I find, however...is the listener. They tend to ask too many questions right off the bat and aren't content to just listen to the story as you have it in your head. So then you have to stop and explain a back story or an obscure motivation that explains why the character does this or that, but then your listener gets stuck on asking more questions about the back story too!
And on and on it goes until you are so far back in time that you are explaining how the character's parents met.
I do think that we as writers get so caught up in the idea of certain story elements and events that we lose sight of if it is plausible. I think having a listener is a good idea because they can offer insight into what simply doesn't work in a story or when something works so well you need to expound upon the idea.


What I have noticed as a writer is it's hard to listen to other writers who are trying to explain their stories. I believe it's because we as writers don't think about our stories in a clean cut, linear timeline. We have all of these lines of a spider web connecting relationships between characters, backstories, sub-plots, motivations, antagonists, protagonists, and all the characters in between the two. Simply asking a writer "What's the main character's motivation?" is a can of worms that no one is ready to open and deal with, not even the writer because they have to explain too many elements of the story in order for the motivation to make sense!
The right questions to ask are more specific to the writer's story because it shows that you (as a listener) have been comprehensively listening to what actually is going on and truly want to understand the story.

Deep breath.

Now that I got that off my chest it is time to go back to writing...

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
Header Background Designed by Freepik