Pages

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

How To Find Inspiration Through Topic Immersion


Imagine with me for a minute, you get inspired to write a story about some kids who solve a mystery in their hometown. You decide to write out the first scene that comes to mind, and as you write the scene you start to wonder "Is this a realistic conversation between kids?" It's a valid concern since you haven't been a kid in a while (well at least I haven't). So, what do you do about it?

I research! My favorite way to research in this particular case is by watching movies/tv-shows, or reading books that are already out there that have this same sort of topic. Off the top of my head, three movies, and a tv show come to mind: Hocus Pocus, Stand By Me, Earth to Echo, and Granite Flats. All of these are a great jumping-off-point for getting your dialogs rolling and who knows, maybe you will pick up some good ideas for more characters to add or mysteries to include?

This type of research method is what I like to call "topic immersion." Of course you can also include a diet of documentaries, and news articles, or get out there and do field research! A long time ago, I was working on a story that was based in a small town in Connecticut. I watched a lot of Gilmore Girls and browsed small town websites in the area I wanted to base my story in, but ultimately it was traveling there and having a good old-fashioned road trip on the back roads of Connecticut that helped me visualize the story and make it feel more realistic. It's the same method Janet Evanovich used while she was researching her Stephanie Plum novels. She actually did a ride-along in a cop car to understand what it was like in a day in the life of a New Jersey cop. 

Topic immersion is also the method I choose to keep the muse alive in my head. For instance, while I work on a space opera I will watch anything from Star Trek to The Fifth Element, to get a feel for a space-themed culture of sorts, as well as browse through interesting articles in Science News for topics that might work for possible plot twists or character development (can we say "biohacking?").

News articles are goldmines when it comes to plot twists, in my opinion. What was the saying..."truth is stranger than fiction?" Especially when I come across articles about mysterious objects being found and experts speculations on them (have you ever read into the Voynich Manuscript?). GOLD. PURE GOLD.

I could go on and talk about how the life of a writer is hard since we have to know so much...but this picture pretty much sums up everything I want to say...



One more thing: don't get discouraged when you feel overwhelmed by too much info out there. Take a break and remember not everything is pertinent to your story.

I hope you enjoyed reading about the way I like to research.
How do you research your stories? Let me know!

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
Header Background Designed by Freepik