Pages

Sunday, September 13, 2015

World Building: Including Culture

If there is one thing that Game of Thrones has taught me, it's the pressing need for culture in one's story. I'm not just talking about fantasy or sci-fi stories, I mean in just about every genre. CULTURE IS IMPORTANT!
Culture includes (but is not limited to):

  • Traditions
  • Design (buildings, clothes)
  • Religion
  • History
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Language
A story or series that is rich in culture feels like you could actually book a trip there and immerse yourself in that society using that book as a reference guide. If you have ever read or watched Game of Thrones, you already know what I'm talking about. The characters and the places feel real, don't they? They have different styles of dress and architecture based on where they live. The religion that is dominant in each place dictates the rituals performed for marriage and death. The super long history is brought up in everyday conversations just like in the real-world. AND THE LANGUAGE! I'm a huge fan of idioms and slang terms, so phrases like "taking the black" and "craven" that have absolutely no meaning in real life but means so much in the story really rings my bell.

Another good book series that has a rich sense of culture in it is The Cat Who...series by Lilian Jackson Braun. 
This series plays out in the fictional town of Pickax in Moose County which is "400 miles north of everywhere." Based somewhat off of a real town in Michigan, she brought this fictional town to life with family feuds, local legends, superstitions, small town politics, mysteries, and even a weird drink with a funny story (squunk water).

Because of these types of book series that have such a rich sense of culture in them, the books that lack a few of the elements from above tend to feel rather one dimensional. Sure, not everyone needs to have a ridiculously long history all written and ready to quote, or have a whole dictionary or two of completely different languages (I'm looking at you LOTR). But just a suggestion of something bigger and broader outside the direct storyline or point of view we are witnessing goes a long way. 

Culture is a difficult one for me to keep track of and mention in my stories and it's something I work on constantly. Remember I said I love idioms and slang terms? I also like to work in new phrases or words in my stories like the tv show Firefly does...or did (cue sob-scene). Firefly's use of some non-toxic swear words like "Rutting" and "Gorram" are encouraging for me as a writer, especially since I don't particularly like to use real-world swear words. Now the dialog with said new swear word turns out to be less lewd and more of a creative expression! Win-win!

Also, I wanted to share some of my favorite links for helping to work through World Building and Storytelling. 
Mythcreants is a great blog for fantasy and sci-fi writers and has lots of great articles about storytelling method dos and don'ts. 
Seventh Sanctum is a site that has generators for days. Some of the generators have story ideas and prompts as well as writing challenges and plot twists! 

What are some other books/tv shows/movies that have some good or bad examples of culture? Let me know!

No comments :

Post a Comment

 
Header Background Designed by Freepik